Announcing Keynote Speakers for CITE 2019
“Bold and transformative solutions” in transportation might get many thinking trendy tech or big transit. For most attendees to CITE’s 2019 Annual Conference, those benefits will be welcomed but, for many Canadians, it is much more.
One in three Canadians are over 65 or younger than 15. We have a growing population of those with mobility challenges or with independence hamstrung by a reliance on parent shuttling. Canada is a wonderful place to live, but historical urban planning decisions have left many behind – particularly those likely to be under-represented in the audience this June.
Our kickoff keynote speaker Dr. Mariana Brussoni says transportation systems are very important for children. She puts forward the interesting idea that “the way to school may be more important than the school is for child development”. As an Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of British Columbia, Mariana will enlighten us on the important link between the built environment and child development, and more broadly, serve as a reminder of the importance of our work.
So for our children, our grandparents, and perhaps for ourselves, what are some of the “bold and transformative solutions” we can point to for inspiration? What solutions will bring greater equity between different segments of our population? Willa Ng of Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs will talk about the cutting edge waterfront development happening in Toronto and what that could incubate on a broader scale for urban mobility.
Three guest speakers will also touch on solutions that their organizations are championing:
- John Manconi, Ottawa’s General Manager of Transportation Services, will join us to discuss what his city is up to – including the opening of the new Confederation Light Rail line, one of the biggest projects in the country.
- Bruce Belmore, President of ITE International, will update us on ITE’s initiatives and products and how they work towards ITE’s goals of improved mobility and safety for all transportation system users.
- Scott Streiner, CEO of the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) will speak to initiatives being undertaken at the federal level to make Canada’s transportation system one of the most accessible in the developed world.
These are the types projects that will shape the future of our cities and impact quality of life. We are thrilled to have Mariana, Willa, John, Bruce and Scott address Canada’s community of transportation professionals at CITE 2019. Let’s absorb what knowledge and inspiration they can impart and return to our desks with renewed energy to make a difference.
The Canadian Institute of Transportation Engineers (CITE) Annual Conference is taking place 2-5 June 2019 in Ottawa, Ontario. Joins us to hear from these speakers. Early bird registration ends April 30.
Kickoff Plenary – Monday, June 3rd | 8:30–10 a.m.
- Mariana Brussoni, University of British Columbia
- John Manconi, City of Ottawa
Lunch & Address – Monday, June 3rd | 12–1:30 p.m.
- Bruce Belmore, ITE International
- Scott Streiner, Canadian Transportation Agency
Lunch & Keynote – Tuesday, June 4th | 12–1:30 p.m.
- Willa Ng, Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs